home about recipes tips support group contact

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Some of My Weight Loss Secrets - Nov 18, 2009

I have loved answering questions to many of you that are curious about how I'm losing weight. (120 pounds so far!!!) I figured I'd post it here in case any one else is wondering too.


There is NO secret! It takes A LOT of hard work and determination! and a great support system!

I try to eat about 1200-1400 calories. If you go much below that your body will not lose weight but store everything. I did 800 calories for a month and at first lost fast(10 pounds in 1 week) then plateaued for 3 weeks. It was awful! So definitely eat enough.


I eat either a green smoothie (3 cups worth) or whole wheat cereal for breakfast.


Green Smoothie Recipe


The flavor of protein powder I use is vanilla. I think it tastes good. You can do it without the spinach if you want. I just started adding spinach a month ago. You can use milk, juice or water. Sometimes I add a vanilla Carbmaster yogurt to it. I think a half banana really adds good flavor and texture. You just need to find out what you like. I used to gag down my old smoothies but the Costco powder actually tastes good. So the recipe I do each morning goes like this:


1 cup water (can substitute juice or milk)
2 handfuls of spinach (optional)
2 heaping TBSP vanilla protein powder
1/2 banana
1- 1 1/2 cup frozen fruit


Blend until smooth consistency.


I really don't eat anything weird. I do keep fresh broccoli on hand and often steam some for lunch and add some "I can't believe it's not butter" spay to it with salt. The broccoli I add to many of my meals because I like it and it fills me up. I have discovered the Kirkland ham is fantastic for a lean protein to snack on. 1 piece is only 30 calories. The Tilamook light Swiss cheese is also great if you are a cheese lover. 1 slice is 50 calories. Pickles are a great snack but watch the sodium. I love the Carbmaster yogurt . Baked Cheetos's are also good as well as baked Kettle chips. Smart Pop popcorn is also a good snack. Hmmm, what else. If you are hungry and need something to hold you for an hour or so the SpecialK drink mixes with fiber and protein are good or the Tide me Over Drink packets from South Beach Diet I've had too.


For dinner I just eat 1 serving of whatever we are eating as a family.I cover half my plate with vegetables and usually 1 cup of the main dish if it a casserole. Portion control is the key and drinking lots of water. I usually drink about 12 cups of water a day.


I am now exercising on the elliptical or bike 1 hour morning and 30 min at night with 1/2 hour of toning at night also. The crazy thing is that I'm enjoying it now. I just have my 2 1/2 and 5 yr old girls home with me in the morning so I get them set up with breakfast and a movie and then go into the room next to them to exercise. The thing that has made a big difference is having a tv to watch. It makes the time go by quickly and it is enjoyable.


I hope this in some way may help in your journey to a healthier lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment